14/12/2011

Cooking with Chris

Many of you know how lucky I am to have a husband who cooks.  And cooks well.  And LIKES to cook.
The same cannot be said of me.  I get by.  Mostly with recipes, and a lot of IM help from the hubs. 
I thought I would start a series where I take you through some of his favorite recipes so you might try them for yourself.  Or simply just be jealous because I have it so easy.
On the menu tonight is something he likes calling Pork Salad.  I know, doesn't sound terribly appetizing does it?  Meh.  Maybe we need a flashier name for it, but take it from me it's right tasty and it's hard to stop eating bowlful after bowlful.  It's very similar to a cold Thai pork dish that I cannot think of nor pronounce the name. 

We start by frying about a pound of pork mince until cooked through.  Then drain off the fat and put it to the side.  Shred some red cabbage, a small head, like you would for cole slaw, and put it in a bowl.
Then chop one yellow onion, and 4 green chilis (with seeds).  Add to the bowl.

Chop a good bunch of coriander/cilantro and about a cup of peanuts and add that too.  Add in the cooked pork.  Then it's time to mix the dressing.


In a small bowl mix:
1 Tbsp  Rice Vinegar
1 tsp Sugar (to taste if you want it sweeter)
1/4 c. Lime juice (more if you want it sour)
1 tsp Chili oil (this was a new option, the recipe is never the same way twice!)
1 Tbsp Soy sauce
3 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp fish sauce
After, taste it, it should be sorta sweet n sour (all to your preference) to battle the hot of the chili's.
Then dump it over the salad and mix.


As you can tell, it goes over well with the adults, but the kids, not so much its a little to "spicy" for them.  You could leave out the chili's if need be, but it really gives it a kick and balances nice with the sauce.


Enjoy!

No comments: