24/12/2011

Merry Christmas

We are still wrapping and assembling.  I've tried to figure out why the amount of work left to be done always seems to increase no matter how much you've tried to get done in the days before so you weren't up until the wee hours on Christmas eve.
This is what has taken up most of my assembly time so far..


We still have to put together the trampoline, and the light is fading, so that may have to wait.  Check that, it will wait.

I thought this parody of "Twas the Night before Christmas" was timely.  I don't know who the author is, but I've found it on several website collections.  This one is for all you parents out there.

Assembly Required Night Before Christmas
'Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house
I searched for the tools to hand to my spouse.
Instructions were studied and we were inspired,
In hopes we could manage "Some Assembly Required."

The children were quiet (not asleep) in their beds,
While Dad and I faced the evening with dread:
A kitchen, two bikes, Barbie's town house to boot!
And, thanks to Grandpa, a train with a toot!

We opened the boxes, my heart skipped a beat....
Let no pieces be missing or parts incomplete!
Too late for last-minute returns or replacement;
If we can't get it right, it goes down in the basement!

When what to my worrying eyes should appear,
But 50 sheets of directions, concise, but not clear,
With each part numbered and every slot named,
So if there were failure, only we could be blamed.

More rapid than eagles the parts then fell out,
All over the carpet they were scattered about.
"Now bolt it! Now twist it! Attach it right there!
Slide on the seats, and staple the stair!

Hammer the shelves, and nail to the stand."
"Honey," said hubby, "you just glued my hand."
And then in a twinkling, I knew for a fact
That all the toy dealers had indeed made a pact

To keep parents busy all Christmas Eve night
With "assembly required" till morning's first light.
We spoke not a word, but kept bent at our work,
Till our eyes, they went bleary; our fingers all hurt.

The coffee went cold and the night it wore thin
Before we attached the last rod and last pin.
Then laying the tools away in the chest,
We fell into bed for a well-deserved rest.

But I said to my husband just before I passed out,
"This will be the best Christmas, without any doubt.
Tomorrow we'll cheer, let the holiday ring,
And not have to run to the store for a thing!

"We did it! We did it! The toys are all set
For the perfect, most perfectest Christmas, I bet!"
Then off to dreamland, at last sweet repose
I gratefully went, although I suppose

There's something to say for those self-deluded
I'd forgotten that BATTERIES are never included!




So to keep myself entertained I thought I would include one of my favorite Christmas songs.  My dad actually has this album and it was always part of our Christmas traditions.
Enjoy.





Merry Christmas to everyone near and far.  May peace and happiness follow you through the coming year.  Be safe.

No comments: