24/11/2011

Learn Afrikaans

It really is a good thing that a lot of people here speak English.  I've mentioned before that my ability to learn new languages is real stunted.  Even simple phrases shouldn't take me so long to remember.
Officially there are 11 languages recognized here, IsiZulu being the most common, with isiXhosa, Afrikaans, Sesotho sa Leboa, Setswana, and English rounding out the top 5.  I have no hope to learn much.  Luckily for us, our housekeeper Alice is fluent in most all of the languages and speaks Afrikaans and English well.  I would be having a real tough time communicating with the gardener otherwise.   His home language is mostly Portugese based.  I know a little Portugese, you know the stuff that has been mangled and adopted into our melting pot of Americaneze.
What I really need to do is get a dictionary so I can translate.  Or get an app for that.

No comments: